
i haven't shared any of my moth eaten collections lately...
years ago my dad found an album of old postcards at the tip. many of the pages were stuck together due to wet. again, i couldn't believe that anyone would throw something like this away!!
amongst the postcards was a photograph of a World War I soldier, and about a dozen postcards he had written to his mother , brother and sister. here are some of the things he said:
'14th June 1916
Dear Ernie
Your nice long letter received today. I haven't seen any of the chaps that you have spoken of over here. They may be in Egypt or some other part of France. Plenty of rain here - mud up to our boot tops...'
'28th Jan 1917
Dear Mother
I have just received your xmas card with Joe Cullens. I was talking to Joe this afternoon. Both him and I are well - too cold to write letters for a day or so 8 inches of frozen snow on the ground for over ten days and very little sunshine.
Love from son Walter'
'1st March 1917
Dear Mother
Am well, letter follows next week. Won't be too long now till I think the big struggle will end. The news here is good now. Hope all are well.
Love from fond son Walter Moore'
'[undated]
This is the village we are camped in at present. Not a bad little place but not up to old Queanbeyan. Would like to be back there again with you.'
'16th May 1917
Dear Mother
Today is my second day in London, and I was out and had a look at this place this morning... I am in Bonny old London at last.
Son Walter'
i contacted the War Memorial but (which i already knew) they are so laden with objects and artefacts, that these days they just record correspondence and take note of who has what. not too mind, i don't mind having Walter Moore's wartime correspondence!
years ago my dad found an album of old postcards at the tip. many of the pages were stuck together due to wet. again, i couldn't believe that anyone would throw something like this away!!
amongst the postcards was a photograph of a World War I soldier, and about a dozen postcards he had written to his mother , brother and sister. here are some of the things he said:
'14th June 1916
Dear Ernie
Your nice long letter received today. I haven't seen any of the chaps that you have spoken of over here. They may be in Egypt or some other part of France. Plenty of rain here - mud up to our boot tops...'
'28th Jan 1917
Dear Mother
I have just received your xmas card with Joe Cullens. I was talking to Joe this afternoon. Both him and I are well - too cold to write letters for a day or so 8 inches of frozen snow on the ground for over ten days and very little sunshine.
Love from son Walter'
'1st March 1917
Dear Mother
Am well, letter follows next week. Won't be too long now till I think the big struggle will end. The news here is good now. Hope all are well.
Love from fond son Walter Moore'
'[undated]
This is the village we are camped in at present. Not a bad little place but not up to old Queanbeyan. Would like to be back there again with you.'
'16th May 1917
Dear Mother
Today is my second day in London, and I was out and had a look at this place this morning... I am in Bonny old London at last.
Son Walter'
i contacted the War Memorial but (which i already knew) they are so laden with objects and artefacts, that these days they just record correspondence and take note of who has what. not too mind, i don't mind having Walter Moore's wartime correspondence!