November 9, 2011
Love of Literacy
A couple of weeks ago I bought this book for Nicholas and Audrey - based on the fact that my favourite children's book illustrator did the drawings. When it arrived I firstly noticed the limited text. As I looked at the illustrations the story played out before me. I saw that it was set in an underprivileged area. Two children find a book and escape to the backyard to read it. Their imagination takes over and the message of the book is simply to look after books as they will take you places and can be read again and again and again.
Some time ago I came across these gorgeous videos (I have shared one previously ). As a bibliophile I was inspired by the idea of providing books where there are none and wished I could get involved with something like this from home.
Capucine for Edurelief in Mongolia from Capucha on Vimeo.
Today while at work I received two emails that reignited this desire. I am thrilled to see these initiatives close to Australia - I have visited both Papua New Guinea and East Timor. I am aware of challenges in each country and am close to my counterparts there.
I am hoping to become more actively involved in the Buk Bilong Pikinini program. I actually need to be at the PNG High Commission over the next couple of weeks so will try and find out some more while I am there. If interested, you can read an inspiring story about the program here.
The program reminded me of Mem Fox's visit to East Timor when one of her books was translated into Tetum. No sooner was I sharing this with colleagues when I received an email promoting the Alola Foundation 'Christmas Gift Certificates'. With a donation of $10 you can provide a pack of 8 readers to Timorese classrooms.
If you would like to support this (for only $10) visit here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you Michelle. The video has made my heartbreak. I know quite a few people in my family will be getting the reader vouchers for Christmas, including my children. Can you imagine a life without books in your home?
ReplyDeleteI know - I'll be including them in Christmas cards. I saw the link on books for Mongolia once and thought I'd like to be involved in something like that. Then both the programs in East Timor and PNG came to my attention at work on the same day. Having visited both countries I'm thrilled to be able to do something small to make a difference in something I am passionate about. I'm glad you are too!
ReplyDelete