a little while ago i posted a couple of sentences from the book i was reading. as i often have a couple of books on the go at once, i thought i'd give a teaser on each one...
"He looked jubilant in his bright white shirt, striding out with the other young bpeople participating in the procession, oblivious to the fate awaiting him at the cemetery. Among the pictures I chose for reproduction was the one of Domingos looking directly into the lens of the camera – on his lips was a smile clearly meant for his friend Steve."
pg 39 'A Woman of Independence' by Kirsty Sword Gusmao
"When my mom first started teaching me how to quilt, I felt the same way. But don't tell her I said so. She's convinced I was a child prodigy, and I'd hate to ruin my image."
pg 41 'The Quilters Apprentice' by Jennifer Chiaverini
"Mamma would skim it off the top of the milk, after it was boiled and cooled. Nowadays, the bhaiya's milk was of such poor quality that no amount of boiling and cooling could produce anything worthy of the name of cream."
pg 77 'Such A Long Journey' by Rohinton Mistry
Is the Rohinton Mistry book similar to A Fine Balance? I think we traumatised mum with that one ;)
ReplyDeletenot yet... but i am sure it will have that element of everythng going wrong. i think everyone who has been to India, or is planning on going, should read A Fine Balance.
ReplyDelete