These days I feel like I am on a roller coaster. Flying at speed in one direction and then being thrown sideways in another direction. I have high aspirations of how I am going to go through the day. Attentive, thoughtful and decisive. To think before I speak, before I act.
In the past couple of weeks everything I have been reading and listening to has had a common theme. To slow down and to be attentive to the important things for now. This doesn't mean that the pace of my life will necessarily slow down - just by nature of the fact that I live in the 21st century... but in the past 24 hours so much has fallen into place. (I think God must have become tired of waiting for me to work it out - he had to spell it out to me!)
Yesterday I read this in the morning from Fenelon:
"You do not see with the eyes of eternity. God knows everything. Nothing happens without His consent. You are upset by small losses, but do not see eternal gains! Don't dwell on your suffering. Your oversensitivity makes your trials worse. Abandon yourself to God." (The Seeking Heart' by Fenelon pg 26)
Then while I was on the bus to work and reading A Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp quoted C S Lewis:
"You would be very ashamed if you knew what the experiences you call setbacks, upheavals, pointless disturbances, and tedious annoyances really are. You would realise that your complaints about them are nothing more nor less than blasphemies - though that never occurs to you. Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, and yet [God's] beloved children curse it because they do not know it for what it is."
I don't think Jesus could have spoken any clearer to me unless he was sitting next to me on the couch looking into my face saying "Listen to what I am saying!" I am SO grateful for His direction.
* the photos have nothing to do with this post, just moments I have captured of Audrey this week...
Audrey is growing up!!!!!!! Lovely post......
ReplyDeleteLove the quote by Lewis. I love those times when it seems like God is clarifying everything.
ReplyDeleteMy word is supposed to be eternity this year...not entirely sure that it has made any impact on me yet tho :(
I think I am a 'write it in the sky" kind of girl. I get the message when it is obvious to me!
ReplyDelete