November 16, 2012

Thursday



Apparently on 13 November the Northern Lights were seen throughout the sky in the Northern hemisphere.

When I hear mention of the Northern Lights somewhere in the world it always brings one thing to my mind.  On the night my great- 8 uncle was executed, the Northern Lights filled the sky in the North of England, where he had lived.  It was seen as a sign by those who were superstitious.

James Radcliffe was the Third Earl of Derwentwater.  Quite an exciting story - ballads, stories and legends written about him. 

Years ago when visiting friends living in England we travelled to Scotland.  On the way home we stopped at Corbridge, Northumbria.  A town not far from where I knew their estate had been before the family was stripped of its title and property (and heads!)

Dilston Castle




You can imagine my excitement as we drove around the land nearby and came across the ruins.  :) If I find the photograph of it I'll scan it in here...

James' younger brother Charles (my Great x 8 grandfather)continued in the battle for the recognition of Charles, the Pretender,as King of England.  He was to die thirty years later, also beheaded.

About 20 years ago I spent weeks, months of my life reading about the Radcliffe family.  Hours spent in the microfiche room of the National Library where I was able to access letters, written by Charles.


Of course I expect to one day discover we aren't descended from them at all, but I have great-uncles even now who carry the middle name Radcliffe, so I guess it is family lore, regardless.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment