March 22, 2008

love vintage



I have always loved anything old. since I was in primary school I wanted to be an historian. a bit odd? I went on to complete a Bachelor of Applied Science in Cultural Heritage Management.
at times regretfully, I moved on to employment in another area, just as interesting, but more on that another time.
I still love history, art, family history and collecting old photographs and postcards. the picture on the left of my banner is of family members on my fathers side. the boy in the back row, fourth from the left is my great-grandfather.
D was gracious enough in 2003 when we went to Italy and France to rummage through boxes of old postcards with me. I regret that I only bought a handful and not the whole box. Likewise, when we went to the Barossa Valley in 2006 one antique store had a box of old photographs. I should have bought that too. I like that loved ones cater to my indulgences - a beautiful brooch from my mum or a vintage perfume bottle from my sister.
Rebecca Sower collects old photographs (maybe I'm not so strange) and on her blog she is making up stories about who the people were. I do that too! D's mother has an old, old family album which is amazing. By the dress, some photographs are as old as the 1870's. Unfortunately, aside from the original album owner (his maternal great-great-aunt) we don't know who the people are. there are no names. one of my favourites is of a young woman. I have had the photograph copied and it is framed on our piano. she sits at a desk with a book. I love reading, so I like to imagine she did too.
you can expect the odd photograph here, with the occassional story.










No comments:

Post a Comment