July 26, 2008

phew

i feel like i had a productive day today - storytime in the morning, then home for lunch. feeding the chooks and stocking up on our eggs (although i prefer D to do the collecting!)

i pureed some pear for A and made some muffins for afternoon tea, as i was expecting all the "girls" in my family, with my nephews. we were getting together to catch up with my aunt. HOWEVER, three boys, under three, always means a little chaos. and N seems to have spent the day practising his "naughty boy" impersonation, with "i [will] not share my toys/crayons" being a common saying throughout the day. perhaps if he sounded like Lola while saying it, it might be cute.
but he doesn't sound like Lola, so it's not cute. i gave him some grace as he hadn't had his sleep in the afternoon (despite my trying). i had a good time - laughing at the boys antics - and maybe next time we'll do it in warmer weather, outside, with room to run. when everyone left i collected one of our few remaining home-grown pumpkins for pumpkin soup.

so i am feeling quite self-sufficient. that's if you can live on eggs and pumpkin...
both kids are now bathed and (hopefully) sleeping. i'll tidy up and enjoy a hot chocolate while sitting on the couch watching a chick flick (and avoid looking at my folding and ironing...)

so, yeah, a full but fun day. tomorrow it is off to do some more pre-schooler battles at my nieces 2nd birthday!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
i just finished watching The Jane Austen Book Club and i really, really enjoyed it. and both my kids SLEPT! so i feel very spoilt. now i have a confession to make. i own Pride and Prejudice and Emma, but i have never read a Jane Austen novel. pretty disgraceful, as i think my mum has read them all. i have seen the movies though (i don't think that counts!!), and own two versions of Pride and Prejudice on dvd, as well as Emma and Sense and Sensibility.

8 comments:

  1. That's great that you guys can grow your own food. Since we moved in, Leon & I always wanted a veggie patch but we never got around to it. Maybe in our new home. I love pumpkin and eggs!!Maybe you could make a pumpkin quiche with all those eggs and pumpkins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure with the creative flair that you and Dave both exhibit, that you could probably live off water and air, let alone pumpkin and eggs!!!!

    I hope you enjoyed that nice feeling you get at the end of a busy and productive day of a well-earned rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have very, very thoughtful friends! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Pride and Prejudice several times and can highly recommend it. I think it would have to be one of my favourite novels. Whenever I read it though, I find myself talking a little like the characters in the book. I just love the language.

    With your long reading list, it might be 2020 before you get to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol - as I was reading and saw you were going to watch that movie, my first thought was to ask you if it was good...but then you read my mind and answered it without me even asking! That's pretty funny that you haven't read any of her novels...I've lost count of the times I've read P&P but I started reading Emma and couldn't stay with it.

    Sounds like a wonderfully productive day :) a well earned chick flick for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've all challenged (and shamed!) me, so Pride & Prejudice can be my 10 minutes before bed read, whilst my other list of books are reserved for the bus!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the "10 minutes before bed read", Michelle. I couldn't put it down.

    I think you have much more self-discipline then me, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. more like i'd be happy if i made 10 minutes - these days i'm asleep before my head touches the pillow!!

    ReplyDelete