on Sunday afternoon i saw a movie called The End of the Spear.
before the movie i had a very quick lunch at a cafe. it was kind of nice having that 35 minutes to myself! i had a coffee and read a little. the movie tells a story i had known about for a little while (a few people would have seen books by Elizabeth Elliot).
anyway, it is the story of 5 missionary families who went to Ecuador in the 1950's. the men flew to a remote village and made contact with a tribe that had rarely been contacted before. needless to say, the 5 men were speared to death. (Koorong have it in their current catalogue).
it brought a couple of things to mind:
* when i was about 14 and i saw the tele-movie "Choices of the Heart". this movie really spoke to me. again, the story of someone who wanted to make a difference and lost (or gave??) their life for it.
* a letter i received from a missionary in Papua New Guinea when i was about 12. (it is in one of about six boxes of letters i have kept.)
* these veteran missionaries i was blessed to spend time with.
Brother Kilgore always said he would build them a house at the church in Houston when they retired from the mission field. i had "tea" with them a few times and they told lots of stories. it was fun 'cause being in the USA for 4 months i found they were almost like being with Australians. ;-) they were British/Irish and went as missionaries to Colombia in the 1950's. Sister Mollie Thompson has a couple of books which can be found in our library. i recommend reading them. there is somthing about missionaries of that era. i guess in a way they were still pioneers.
Brother Kilgore always said he would build them a house at the church in Houston when they retired from the mission field. i had "tea" with them a few times and they told lots of stories. it was fun 'cause being in the USA for 4 months i found they were almost like being with Australians. ;-) they were British/Irish and went as missionaries to Colombia in the 1950's. Sister Mollie Thompson has a couple of books which can be found in our library. i recommend reading them. there is somthing about missionaries of that era. i guess in a way they were still pioneers. Erma Bombeck is quoted saying:
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me".
I believe missionaroes could say that!
Wow..Michelle. I loved your last paragraph. I strive for betterment, for wholeness, for being complete. Your posts are so deep, and heart speaking. I thank you. XX ~Jeanette Estreich~
ReplyDeleteWhen I started reading your blog I thought straight away for 'Choices of the heart'. A few years ago I did a search on the internet to see if I could find it. Would love to get it again. Remember Melissa Gilbert reading 'footsteps' at the end??
ReplyDeleteit was a great movie - i have looked for it before as well, but only found it in the USA.
ReplyDeleteand betterment is what we all should be striving for - imagine doing that subconsiously day to day!! it is challenging....
I admire anyone who gives up all that they do in order to reach people who are in such vastly different cultures and climates. I am more then capable of clinging to my creature comforts in the false belief that those things are important. Missionaries are prepared vessels for the service of God and they give their all ... sometimes even their lives.
ReplyDeleteI heard Bro Carver, who has, and is, serving tirelessly on the mission field, say that he felt he had not done enough!!! I admit to feeling very small, but at the same time very glad that the Bible tells us not to compare ourselves!!! Still, when I looked at what God has achieved through Bro Carvers ministry, and my extremely small efforts, I desired in my heart to do better.
Sorry, what a long comment. I guess that's why I have a reputation as Mrs Have-a-Chat!!!!