October 14, 2011
that time of year
Our vegetable garden has laid dormant this winter. The neighbours bushes have grown to a point they block most of the winter sun.
Summer shouldn't be a problem though so on Monday morning I turned the soil. I threw in some blood and bone and manure. I shoveled it again and raked it. It felt good to see it there, bare and ready for new planting.
Yesterday I sowed the seed into pots. Tomato, rocket, beans, zucchini, basil and beetroot. We need to get silverbeet and cucumber. Audrey "helped".
I held my breath as she threw some rocket seeds into my pot of tomato plants. Not where I wanted them but still, I remind myself to include her more often in what I am doing.
I have been reading about companion planting. I like the sound of marigolds throughout the garden so will buy them as well.
Currently I am reading The Secret Garden:
"She went through the door and found that it was a garden with walls all around it and it was only one of several walled gardens which seemed to open into one another. She saw another open green door, revealing bushes and pathways between beds containing winter vegetables. Fruit trees were trained flat against the wall, and over some of the beds were glass frames. The place was bare and ugly enough, Mary thought, as she stood and stared about her. It might be nicer in summer when things were green, but there was nothing pretty about it now."
When this is finished I am hoping to read my third Isabel Dalhousie before this book arrives. I have read about Crossing to Safety on a number of blogs and I am keen to read it.
Last weekend I made Audrey a book bag and made a sponge cake. It felt like a CWA/Martha Stewart weekend! Last night I began putting numbers on the pockets of the advent calendar I have made. Slowly, I am clearing the backlog of things to do, which gives me peace of mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment