I stood at the front counter, waiting to settle my account. We had worked since breakfast, drafting/writing our final report. It was now dinner time and I decided that, with a 3am start the next morning, it was best to pay before settling in for the night.
I turned and saw a familiar face. A women from the office, standing with a young girl. Matilda had come to the hotel to say goodbye. I hadn't spoken with her much as the team was pulled from one meeting to another, almost becoming a political football ourselves.
She explained she had told her husband she wanted to say goodbye to me. She bought me a packet of Simbu coffee. He had told her to write me a note and he would drive her to the hotel so she could leave it for me. I was grateful that I happened to be at the front desk at just that time.
She handed me the bag of coffee and introduced me to her five year old daughter. She asked if I would come to the car to meet her husband. I would be delighted. As we walked toward the car a man stepped out. Polite and humble. I thanked them both. We said our goodbyes and I stood at the front and waved as they drove out of the hotel. Again the tug at my heart. Someone with much less than I have and yet she wanted to share something.
I am grateful again, that at a time when I mostly feel as though I am simply trying to keep my head above water, God shows me that when all is stripped away all we have is ourselves to give. And the smallest gesture of kindness can be enough.
* photograph from another trip to PNG. In 2001.

No comments:
Post a Comment