February 1, 2012


Our annual Merimbula holiday was held at a different pace this year.  We still had brunch at The Lott in Cooma.  An inclusion that we look forward to each year.  I keep saying to David that we should drive there on our own to have lunch some time - when we can linger over our lunch, rather than trying to eat quickly while the kids are still sitting still at the table.  They are getting better at this.  (The link is simply to another blog which has photographs of the Lott.  As well as some really gorgeous looking place they went to in Jindabyne.  Actually, I think I really like this blog.  I wish i took photos of the food we ordered.  I will have to add it to my list.)
Mornings began slowly, with the kids having breakfast and playing with the three large tubs of lego the manager of the units had left for us.  I took a couple of recent issues of Country Style magazine and the latest book I am reading.  I actually took time to read.  I spent mornings on the deck with a cup of tea looking out to sea and actually reading magazine articles instead of flicking through them.
We go to the beach each day.  The kids play.  Nicholas loves to climb the rocks and Audrey loves to chase the sea.


David helps to build sand castles and forts.  I sit and watch.  Have I mentioned I have been desperate to simply be still? This will be my year of 'quiet'. 


We go out to lunch and visit our favourite Pambula  bakery for coffee.  It is surprising that as we no longer drink coffee regularly we really can pick a "good' coffee over a "bad" one.

This year, instead of wild rides and a day at Magic Mountain, we go for bush walks, eat dinner on the beach, take Nicholas and Audrey to a petting farm and travel home via a different route to visit some gold fields.

This year we also seemed to have spent more time dealing with sibling issues than I remember doing before.  I unashamedly took pleasure in seeing a 4 year old girl having the queen of tantrums at the last coffee shop we stopped at in Tilba Tilba.  Nicholas and Audrey were having fun playing "adventures" together in the gardens nearby as David and I sipped our tea.  Nasty of me, I know.  We also had yet another visit to Pambula Hospital, having a split in Audrey's head glued back together.
I have enjoyed taking advantage of the quiet times, while they last.  Next week school resumes for nicholas, and begins for Audrey.  I think that is why I kept wanting to photograph her over our holiday.    I am noticing how she is growing up.  I am taking her to see Angelina Ballerina tomorrow and all the while hoping she won't scar too badly...
I will let this year unfold as it wills.  Instead of always battling for control and fighting the currents I will let it take me where it wills.  Apparently to a few places this year.  Already I am possibly overseas with work on two occasions before the end of February.  Then I come home and I will be 40.  What will it bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment