March 14, 2012

Elegance

Apparently there is a saying in France, “Elegance is the privilege of age”.  I think that will be my mantra for this year.  Tomorrow when I wake up I will be 40.  And I can think of plenty of elegant french women who are older than 40!  Contrary to what some people think, I don't find the thought daunting at all.  I feel grown up.  mature, in a good way.  I expect I will feel differently this time in ten years from now!  

I think it is about being comfortable n your own skin.  With who you are and where you are in life.  In my 20's I achieved the degree I had wanted since the 5th grade.  I travelled a bit, visiting the United States, United Kingdom, Amsterdam, Thailand, Papua New Guinea and Fiji.  In my thirties I married had children and bought a house.  So I'll see what the 40's bring.

I am working tomorrow, there isn't much point staying home on my own when everyone else will be at school or work!  besides which, there is a lot going on at work and I need to be there and I want to be a part of how things are playing out.  I also need to return the "briefcase".  I could pretend I am in the movie Ronin.  Only without the car chases and guns.  Besides,I know what was in the briefcase.  :)

There will be celebrations with family and friends over the next couple of days.  For now, I've toasted the last slice of my zucchini bread and made coffee.  I'll watch one of my favourite movies before making Nicholas and Audrey cake for afternoon tea... and maybe tomorrow morning buy a croissant and pretend I am in Paris on my birthday. ;)

Quite appropriately I came across this quote today:

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

~E.E Cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment