March 7, 2012

One Day

I've been lying low of late.  No real reason.  Work has been busy, demanding, challenging and extremely rewarding over the past couple of weeks.  It has been a long time since I have felt energised by my work.  Amazing how simple working on alleviating the possibility of a country spiraling into chaos can be when compared with trying to get a 4 year old to eat!I've been dealing with some small parenting issues. Just behavioural things, nothing big, but things that need addressing in any case. 
The subject of greater common good has continued to occupy a space in my mind.  I was reminded of an essay Arundhati Roy wrote on the subject.  I was reminded of a time when everything I did seemed to have that goal as a priority.  the saying "the hubris of the young" comes to mind.  (I am still 'young'.)
So between work, children, motherhood, home life and things philosophical, my mind has been swimming with thoughts on SO many things.  Not to mention trying to find time to reflect on what turning 40 means for me. 

However, a couple of things have come up in different places that have got me thinking that they are all pointing to the reflective path I find myself on.  A few weeks ago David commented to me after we had been to a dinner party that I didn't talk very much while there (it was a party with my colleagues in celebration of our founding boss' retirement).  I said that I felt like being "silent".  I don't mean being mute in the company of others, but I have a desire to listen more to the conversations going on around me. 
Both Ali Edwards and Amanda Soule have referenced this, from TEDtalks, on their blogs.  It is simply beautiful.  I think my soul is truly yearning for things that are stripped back to the basic of needs.  I don't mean denying myself of anything I might like, but being grateful for the things that I have, for the things around me that I take for granted (like water from the tap, light from electricty) rather than constantly focusing on my materialistic WANTS.  To think more of this day as One Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment