May 21, 2011

literary things

This is my current pile of reading.  I have at least one other pile this size.  I am currently reading The Sunday Philosophy Club.  I recently finished the sixth volume in this series and enjoyed it so much I decided to go back to the beginning.  Alexander McCall Smith writes a number of volumes with various characters.  Initially best known for his No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Born in Zimbabwe, now living in Scotland, he writes no fewer than five series set in different locations with different heroes/heroines, as well as numerous short stories and children's books.  His writing is delightful, and I adore the protagonist of The Sunday Philosophy Club, Isabel Dalhousie.  It is nice to read a series, have a character that is familiar and is a nice refreshing break from some of the heavier reading I often do.  I even enjoy a bit of escapism and pretend I am living in her gorgeous house in Edinburgh... :)

Also in the pile is a title that was started a year or so ago, but as often happens, I was distracted by other books and never finished it.  In the past week three people have mentioned to me how much they enjoyed People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.  So it will have to be next.  I have only read one Geraldine Brooks book - a non-fiction piece based on her times working in the Middle East as a foreign correspondent.  It is called Nine Parts of Desire and delves into the world of Islamic women.  I have bought her books as gifts for people and hear good reviews, so will also have to catch up on March, Year of Wonders and Caleb's Crossing.  (Her website is gorgeous by the way...)

Others in this pile are translations from international works.  I remember the Housekeeper and the Professor when it was reviewed on First Tuesday Book Club, as the saddest but most tender book read.  It is by Japanese author Yoko Ogawa.  I think some of the reviews given were from a very Western perspective, so I look forward to reading it.  A short novel I don't think it will be daunting.  I saw it for a reasonable $10, so figure you can't go wrong.

And an important one - Pride and Prejudice has made it to the pile beside my bed!  Having just bought Becoming Jane for $5, I really need to read one of Jane Austen's works!

Another bargain buy was Out Stealing Horses, translated from a Norwegian novel by Per Petterson.  Years ago I read Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, by Danish author Peter Hoeg.  I enjoyed this one very much, although it was made into a dismal movie...

Last two in the pile are The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I enjoyed Little House in the Big Woods so much, particularly the family stories of daily life - storing food and curing meat for the winter, celebrating Christmas in the snow and dealing with daily life as pioneers.  I am hoping The Long Winter has more of this.

Following a theme developing of sparse spaces is Annie Proulx's book Bird Cloud, about her experiences building a house in a remote part of Wyoming.  I read some reviews that weren't overwhelming, mainly due to the minute detail and descriptive nature of the book, but this interview about the book intrigued me, so I hope I get through it!  The only novel of Annie Proulx I have read is The Shipping News, which was eventually made into a fine movie.  I have been given Accordion Crimes as a gift, but it is one of many that sit on my bookshelf yet to be read.  A bit of a recluse, she was recently in Canberra.  No surprises, tickets to her reading at the National Portrait gallery went quickly, so I missed that one.

So I am not saying I will read all of these this year, but this is the pile that is currently by my bed, along with a couple on parenting and spiritual growth.  These get picked up and a few pages read here and there for inspiration and guidance when needed!

** To keep up the literary theme, later today I need to publish a post about the kids latest library book...
And look at this link Ruth sent me.  Could I do an afternoon tea party for me, just so I can relish in the book theme??

No comments:

Post a Comment