What has been on my mind though lately is when she spoke about remembering what your children say.
Yesterday morning David and Audrey left for his mum's. I was feeling less inspired to rush around this morning. I hadn't packed lunches or bags the night before so had a fair bit to do. After breakfast I asked Nicholas to get dressed and he simply said "ok mama". Some mornings he is not so keen to go to before school care. By the time I got around to packing bags, making beds etc it was already 10 past 8 - the time Nicholas gets to school the mornings I work.
After having read this a few days ago, I thought, why rush? So we left home later than usual, meaning I would take him straight to class and get a later bus. While walking to school Nicholas enjoyed trying not to step on any cracks in the path. We hold hands. I pulled him along making him have to step quicker to miss the cracks. He laughed and thought it was a great game. He said "you are the best mum!"
When we got to school his friends ran up so he would come and play with them. he stood still so I kissed him goodbye and told him to run along. I was talking to another mum, when he came back and stood with me. I realised it was now 9:00 so took him to his class. Still, he stood with me. He hugged me tightly and then I noticed his eyes were tearing up. He was trying to smile and look happy. I told him to come and sit by me and asked what was wrong. He just hugged me tightly so I reassured him and said I would be there to pick him up from after school care and would bring him a surprise (a puzzle book I had bought). I kissed him and sent him off to sit with a friend. As I looked back when leaving he was still blinking tears away and trying to smile at me.
That evening David was late home with Audrey so Nicholas and I did homework together. We finished reading Fantastic Mr Fox (Nicholas was impressed we had read a book with 82 pages!) and ate dinner. I took the opportunity to ask why he seemed sad at school this morning.
His reply made my heart swell. he said "I just love you so much and was wishing I could stay home with you."
Sometimes I wish that too. Time ticks on so quickly. I read a quote somewhere recently that said with children the days are long and the years are fast. It is so true with little ones.
* picture of Nicholas' day bushwalking with his pop last week

Beautiful memories michelle :) Josh asks to stay home a lot...and I dreamily think of homeschooling. The quote about the days being long and the years short is so true!! I really should be a little more consistent with my blog.
ReplyDeleteaww Michelle - how sweet. Thanks for sharing those little moments! Many hugs Clara
ReplyDeletethanks Clara... you wait, you'll just want to remember absolutely everything about your babies. they grow up so fast! xo
ReplyDeleteps: how's my favourite royal family? ;)
Michelle - that is so lovely. What a precious little boy you have!
ReplyDeleteKelli