June 4, 2011

a little sentimental lately

Today we had lunch with some of my grandmothers sisters and my mums cousins.  There was a small pang in my heart when we were together and I thought of the one missing.  My grandmother.

In an odd way it tied in with something else that I have been sentimental about over the past week or so.  Scrapbooking.  One of my great aunts did a lot of scrapbooking when I first "discovered" the hobby.  Another great aunt is the custodian of our family history and stories (of which she reminded me that I inherit one day).  When we said good bye I don't think I imagined that the hugs were just a little tighter, a little longer.  It makes me more conscious of memory keeping.


What has had me reminiscing?  This.  I love the simplicity of Becky Higgins school project.  I fully intend to keep an alum of the kids primary years using these simple layouts.  It is perfect - print them, stick a photo on and write the subject matter.  Memory recorded. 
I miss those early days when scrapbooking was almost an addiction.  Waiting for the latest Creating keepsakes issue, an feeling pure pleasure when stocking up on cardstock and paper!

2 comments:

  1. The hugs were tighter, maybe because they had just been to their aunty, my great aunty your great-great aunty's (check I have the link correct :)funeral 100 years old.
    It is special to make the effort to get together like that, a great day!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think all those aunties have a soft spot with us - I could tell they were thinking of nan! I miss her, and all the things we have missed experiencing with her.
    I am on the verge of getting some scrapbooking done, I can feel it :) Slowly that motivation is coming back.

    ReplyDelete