May 15, 2012

ramblings

Melanie came to visit this morning (with lemon slice) and as usual, our mouths were moving the second the door was open and we did not stop talking until she drove away!  Admittedly we have not caught up in a little while so had lots to say.  And as usual it was mostly about craft and the latest inspiring thing we have found and bemoaning the unfinished projects we each have lying around.
I showed her how neatly I had ironed and folded my fabric scraps - going to Sew It Together in a couple of weeks has me inspired to get things organised.  :) 

I have been over the moon with a podcast I am subscribing to.  I found it incredulous last year that Radio National announced they were canning their Book Show program - I listened to it all the time while travelling to work, but now I have found the BBC Book Club version and I LOVE it!  It is just like sitting in an intimate book club with the author - and the authors of so many of my favourite books- Isabel Allende, David , Alexander McCall Smith, Donna Leon, Amy Tan, Annie Proulx, Charles Frazier, A S Byatt... I am listening to it now while breathing in the vinegary smell of the green tomato chutney I have bubbling on the stove.  (My favourite Maggie Beer recepie)


A S Byatt said something that made me start - something like: a good reader is a good skimmer.  Nobody reads a book entirely the first time.  They read to get the story.  If they like it they read it again.
Really?  I am an avid reader and these days I get frustrated with the rate I am getting books read.  Because I do read every word.  Maybe I'll try skimming some and see where that takes me... I feel like it is cheating.

I enjoyed some time with Nicholas and Audrey on Sunday afternoon.  We went to a favourite place of mine, had coffee and just enjoyed the serenity.

Sewing, books and slow cooking... I feel like I am getting back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment