August 9, 2012

Thursday



While we were away I cam across what I thought was a 1960's booklet on parenting called A Guide to Natural Living for Parents and Children.  It turns out it was published in 1980.  One chapter in particular spoke loudly to me.  It resonated somewhere deep within.  It was called Harmonious Family Living.

As I was reading it I was thinking how much of what I read was EXACTLY my philosohpy for parenting.  Then I realised it was actually how I was raised myself!  I find so many of the things that surround parenting (and mothering in particular) are commercial and materialistic.  rather than inspire and encourage women they condemn and judge.  Often with the aim of making you buy the latest gadget or join the latest bandwagon.  I am at a place in life where I feel the need to strip everything back to the basics.  Getting back to the fundamental things that are the most important.
This post would be l-o-n-g if I listed all thirty of the points in the chapter I read.  I wrote them all out.  Then typed them into a document.
The author (Sister Joyce Lubke) states:



"Following is a list of gifts you can both give your children which will cost you some of your time but are otherwise free."
Here are the first half dozen or so.  I'm happy to email the list to anyone who is interested in the rest of them...
1. Comprehension: Listen to your children’s point of view and try to understand it.  Teach them to listen to and understand your view of things.
2. Love and Affection: Children need to know that you love them and to be told so.
3. Knowledge: The only way children can learn is to ask questions.  Answer them truthfully and if you do not know the answer, tell them you will find out, and do this by referring to books and other people.  Visit places of interest and encourage reading and visits to libraries.
4. Training: Teach them how to behave – set the example yourselves and encourage them to follow suit.  Educate, instruct and discipline your child.
5. Kindness: Show them kindness and teach them to be kind.  Let them do things for others.
6. Confidence: Teach them to be confident, let them try to do things without your help and only give it if it is needed.  Praise achievement and encourage them in things they want to achieve.
7. Tidiness: When small, have a box or shelves for their toys and show the children where to put them.  As they get older let them help you to keep their rooms tidy and put away their clothes, and help to keep the house the same.

Other areas touched on are imagination, justice and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment