August 31, 2012
Today is Maria Montessori's 142nd birthday. I love her educational philosophy. You can read about her here. I wonder what she would think of the fact that the method she developed while working with the children of low-income families is now really only accessible by a wealthier group...
Not to worry though, I had this book which is a great summary of the philosophy!
Talking of books, Nicholas had book week at school while I was away. He enjoys reading Zac Power books so before I packed to go to Darwin I whipped up something easy - a Zac Power id card and a SpyPad. Unfortunately Nicholas' school did not seem to have a dress up event for Book Week, but at least he now has them for play at home.
Nicholas LOVES his chapter books at bedtime and the threat of him going to bed without one always gets a response to what we need him to do beforehand! We have been through a number of Enid Blyton and Rohld Dahl books and, well to be honest, I'd like a little break. So I am going to introduce him to one of my favourite stories when I was younger - The Borrowers by Mary Norton. Nicholas is looking forward to them. I remember when I was younger my mum and dad took us to various public libraries on the weekends and it was always a thrill to go to a new one and look at books we hadn't seen before. I can remember going to Kingston Library and borrowing a book on miniature houses - I dreamt of making the tiny furniture and accessories. The houses in the book were all period homes and I remember I loved he Tudor House. I can remember reading another library book that was about a girl that went back in time, I just can't remember the title - not Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (another favourite). I'm glad my kids love stories!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment