May 18, 2008

being dedicated


it is a strange feeling. it is 6:12pm and both my miracles are asleep. D and his cousin have gone to church. the whirl of the day is over - our nearest and dearest have left, chairs are put away, the table is back in place. dishes are done and the house is silent. now i have a moment to reflect on the meaning of this day. Pea was dedicated today. it was a less lavish affair than when N was dedicated, but the sentiments are the same. she wore dress that my grandmother had knitted and was wrapped in a shawl my mum knitted. we had immediate (20-odd people!!) family over for lunch which they all helped to prepare.

A doesn't know what today was all about. it was really a day for us. a day to declare that we want our children to grow up with a very specific spiritual and moral foundation. to grow, knowing the Lord as their own. the responsability is awesome, but we know it is possible!

Pastor Downs said something like this: "at this time, when you have the least time, you need to spend the most time with your children". being home with my kids I see how true this is, and how it is something we need to intentionally do.

my parents gave us a gift - a beautiful book I'd recommend to anyone. the card they gave us had this written on the front: "as you dedicate this little one to the Lord... walk in all His ways, grow in grace and knowledge". see, this day isn't about what A does at this point - it is about what we do to get her to a place where she can then follow the same commandments. that is why i chose the song "Potter's Hand" to be sung at her dedication:

Beautiful Lord, Wonderful savior
I know for sure all of my days are held in your hands
Crafted into your perfect plans
You gently called me into your presence
Guiding me by Your Holy Spirit
Teach me dear Lord to live all of my life
Through your eyes

this is our prayer, but we also want it to be the prayer of our children.
it was a lovely day to thank God for our two blessings!!



5 comments:

  1. It was beautiful, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very beautiful ceremony :)
    The pictures are gorgeous!! Oh, and I love your top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children are blessed, Michelle, to have two gorgeous parents who love God and are determined to bring their children up in His ways.

    I'm sorry that I had to miss "Pea's" dedication but the photo's look absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your parents and Dave's parents must have been proud of you and Dave.

    Your children are sooooooooo adorable. They will give you much joy in the years ahead as you watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sry, I forgot to add that in the past i've heard others say Nicholas looks like your Dad! Now that i've seen Dave's Dad, I can't believe how much Nicholas looks like him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish they wouldn't have sunday school on when they have the didications. The photos look beautiful Michelle.

    ReplyDelete