D has gone to the function centre to cook. yes, he is cooking the entire meal for his own birthday! N has gone with pop and gran to the pumpkin festival and A is asleep (she must be catching up from last night!) my ironing is done, so before I get to other chores I thought I would blog what I have been learning from this book.
I really liked the ten commands Elizabeth George provided for guiding your children. so much so, that I will list them here:
1. Teach them using God's word (Duet 6:4-9)
2. Tell them what is right and wrong (1 Kings 1:6)
3. See them as gifts from God (Psalm 127:3)
4. Guide them in godly ways (Proverbs 22:6)
5. Discipline them (Proverbs 29:17)
6. Love them unconditionally (Luke 15:11-32)
7. Do not provoke them to wrath (Ephesians 6:4)
8. Earn thy respect by example (1 Timothy 3:4)
9. Provide for their physical needs (1 Timothy 5:8)
10. Pass your faith along to them (2 Timothy 1:5)
she also includes a list that Susannah Wesley apparently wrote on rearing children. here are a couple that I think show wisdom:
* put all children in bed by eight o'clock (I wish!)
* teach each one to pray as soon as he can speak
* give them nothing that they cry for, and only that which they ask for politely
* to prevent lying, punish no fault which is first confessed and repented of
* never punish a child twice for a single offense
* any attempt to please, even if poorly performed, should be commended
* strictly observe all promises
on other (lighter) child-related matters, here are a couple of my favourite online kids stores.
and I can't wait for this one! with a love for vintage, I could really go wild there...
now, to the joy of creating a nice clean house.
I like Susannah Wesley's list....especially the 'don't give them anything they cry for .....' one. I'll have to remember that one, as I am just starting to experience that occasionally.
ReplyDeleteI like that too. I've read 'A Woman after God's own heart' and it was Excellent!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete