April 2, 2008

on this and that


so People of the Book had mixed reviews, but was still nominated as a good read. maybe I'll have to have an interlude from Atonement and read it soon. I liked the Radio National interview.
I have always loathed lists of favourite things - favourite books, favourite movies and favourite cd's. mainly because no sooner do I write down ten I come up with another ten.
so, for want of another term, here are ten of what I consider to be good reads (in no particular order).
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
3. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
4. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
5. The Riders by Tim Winton
6. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
7. After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell
8. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
9. The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan
10. Almost French by Sarah Turnbull
I'll stop glancing at my bookcase to my right or my list of ten will quickly become twelve, fourteen or eighteen! a bigger challenge will be good movies, so I'll tackle that another day, although dozens are already racing through my mind.
I think I got my love for books and movies from my mum. I like to have a book with me wherever I go, as you never know when you will want to take 10 minutes out of the day to read. a good thing I catch the bus to work. I take one when we travel and read aloud while D drives. [this was pre-kids. these days we're more likely listening to the Wiggles]. I even had a book with me while on holiday in Italy (above). when I travel with work I love buying a new book at the airport especially for the trip.
"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." Anna Quindlen, 'Enough Bookshelves' New York Times 7 August 1991.
Not entirely true of me, but a really nice thought!
The One Year Bible that I am reading through is written in the New Living Translation. I chose to read another translation as rather than being a comprehensive study, I wanted to read it as my morning devotion. again and again. my plan is to keep this going for the rest of my life! I didn't want to get hung up on language, particularly when it came to Numbers, or Dueteronomy or Job and Jeremiah... sometimes I refer to my KJV to compare wording as I still like the words it uses such as "cleave" or "magi".

No comments:

Post a Comment